Fashion design is the art of the application of design and aesthetics or natural beauty to clothing and accessories.
Is it is good option for me?
A career in fashion designing is right for you if you are talented and exude style in everything you do. You must also possess the ability be original and creative and love to make people look good. Further, you must be creative enough to combine colors, shades and textures and express your ideas through sketches. You must also visualize new design, patters, garments and accessories and enjoy working with fabrics and accessories.
Fashion Career Opportunities
- Fashion Show Coordinator
- Fashion Photography Coordinator
- Fashion Consultant
- Fashion Designer/Assistant Designer
- Fashion Stylist
- Production Supervisor
- Fashion Merchandiser/Buyer
- Quality Controller
- Costume designer/Coordinator (for TV, Film, or Theatre)
- Fashion Entrepreneur
- Fashion Forecaster
- Pattern Designer
- Pattern Maker
- Fashion Illustrator
World fashion industry
- American fashion design
- Belgian Fashion design
- British fashion design
- Canadian fashion design
- French fashion design
- German fashion design
- Italian fashion design
- Japanese fashion design
- Soviet fashion design
- Swiss fashion design
Color Theory for Fashion Garment & Composition Textiles History of Costume Contemporary Fashion, Styles & Trends Fashion Marketing & Merchandising Fashion Drawing Fashion Draping Sewing Applications Women’s Wear Drafting
Learn how to bring your design ideas to life!
Men’s Wear Fashion Sketching Design Research & Development Digital Designing for Fashion Sewing Techniques Project Workshop Mini Collection Workshop Pattern Aided Design, Grading and Costing Academic Research & Communication Skills Fashion Communication
Design Research Men’s Wear & Women’s Wear Collection Sustainable Design & Subculture Design Futures Internship Drafting & Draping Techniques
The Starting monthly package can be around Rs.10, 000 to Rs.15, 000. With experience, you will acquire maturity in designing skills and a few years down the line your salary would be in the range of Rs.30, 000 to Rs.40, 000 per month. Of course, if you become a reputed designer you could demand the world. Great fashion designers salary always shows an upward moving trend. However, hard work and a conscious effort to update the latest trends in the fashion industry are imperative.
Fashion houses run by top fashion designers such as: Abu Jani, JJ Valaya, Manish Malhotra, Neeta Lulla, Rina Dhaka, Ritu Beri, Ritu Kumar, Rohit Bal, Sandeep Khosla, Tarun Tahiliani and so on. Top notch garment and textile export houses.Textile and fabric manufacturing units & Exclusive and branded fashion showrooms.
Steps for getting placed
- Make a great portfolio that showcases your creative talents
- Apprenticeship under a well-known designer is desirable for getting hired in this industry
- Thoroughly research the market before making a foray into it
- Do freelancing for fashion houses and boutiques
- Be creative, exclusive and innovative
- Don’t be impulsive and impatient
- Don’t get disheartened by rejections, understand your drawbacks and work on it
- Start affordable and once you have proved yourself, you can go for the stars